If you are still on the stage of deciding what type of footwear that protects your entire foot, then there is no need to worry too much. You actually have plenty of options, and most footwear today have features specifically designed to keep your feet safe.
With that in mind, it is up for you to figure out which one among these shoes can make you feel more comfortable and confident.
As mentioned earlier, you have plenty of options for footwear designed to protect your foot. The most common ones include the following:
1. Safety-toed Shoe – One of the most common types of safety footwear today is the safety-toed shoe. It often comes with a special covering on the toe area capped with a special material designed to offer protection to your toes, especially when you are exposed to hazardous objects.
It is ideal for those who work in mills, factories and other places that have heavy industrial equipment and materials. Since foot accidents are unavoidable, it is crucial for them to wear the right safety-toed shoes for protection.
2. Composite Toe Boot – It is also possible for you to keep yourself safe by wearing a pair of composite toe boot. It features non-metallic safety toe caps while weighing less than its steel-toe counterpart.
It is the ideal option for those whose work exposes them to electricity and electronics all the time, particularly those who often stay in security work environments that are prone to electric shocks.
3. Steel-toe Boot – It is often essential for safety standards. One thing that makes this type of safety shoe preferable is the fact that it can offer protection to your feet from up to 75-lb. impact and 2,500-lb. compression.
It is marked as EAA (Engineered Aluminum Alloy and you can expect it to work perfectly for those whose daily work exposes them to rolling or falling objects.
4. Metal Instep Shoe – This type offers utmost protection to your feet from harmful objects, accidents, and injuries. It is specifically designed to guard your feet from pointy and sharp objects, including those made of metal, pieces of glass and nails.
It is also the best choice for those who are part of huge industrial factories as their job often requires them to deal with machinery and sharp objects made of glass. Metal instep shoe is also designed in such a way that it can prevent sharp items from getting into your feet, causing harm or injury.
5. Metatarsal Shoe – The good thing about this footwear is that it is mainly designed to keep your upper foot and bones protected. It is a big help in minimizing and preventing injuries that usually result from mishaps and accidents when heavy equipment falls or drops down on your feet.
It can keep your feet safe – both from the inside and out. You also have an assurance that your toe area is fully protected. People who work in construction sites usually wear this shoe as they need to lift heavy machines and equipment.
When determining what type of footwear that protects your entire foot, it is also crucial for you to identify the kind of protection you wish the shoe to provide. It could be any of the following:
1. Explosives – In case your job often exposes you to highly flammable or reactive substances and explosives, then the best footwear for you are those that are electrically conductive. It works in preventing static electricity buildup.
Note that the buildup may cause explosion or fire. Make sure that you do not pair your shoes with nylon, wool, and silk socks as well, as such may also stimulate static production.
2. Falling and sharp objects – You also need to protect yourself from falling and sharp objects, especially if you work in a place that has them. To protect yourself from falling objects, the safety toe boot can help. It is because of the capping integrated into the toe area.
Sharp objects are also among the safety hazards in a work environment. Most of them, particularly screws and nails, might injure your feet by puncturing over the soles of normal shoes.
To avoid such problem, you need to wear a pair of shoes that can resist puncture. Your options include those with either a composite or steel plate inside the sole. Such offers protection in case you accidentally stepped on jagged and sharp objects.
3. Cold and moisture – There are also instances when you need to work in a place with an extremely cold climate or one with lots of moisture. When working in a cold environment, it would be best to wear insulated work boots.
Proper insulation can protect you from the dangers caused by being exposed to the cold climate, such as frostbite. In case you need to work in areas with too much moisture, then leather boots that are water-resistant are ideal.
Such can help keep your feet dry, thereby protecting you from the cold, as well. Aside from that, water-resistant footwear can also protect you from the risk of fungus, rot, and molds.
4. Slips and falls – Slip-resistant shoes are also a must if your job exposes you to the risk of slipping accidentally. Some of those who are prone to this issue are health care, industrial and kitchen workers, factory workers, and wait staff.
Most slip-resistant footwear has soles that can minimize their slickness, thereby preventing accidental falls and slips.
Aside from the ones mentioned above, take note that the best types of footwear are those that can protect you from rolling machines or objects, molten metals, chainsaws and other hazardous machinery.
Finding what type of footwear that protects your entire foot is not that tough if you know the different types of safety shoes and the exact safety hazard you want to protect yourself from.
Fortunately, this article has provided you with such information, making the selection process more manageable for you.